We often receive inquiries from founders questioning the need for a 409A valuation, particularly during the early stages of their startup. It's common for founders to feel hesitant about obtaining a 409A valuation due to factors such as lack of revenue, product, customers, or venture capital investment. But we can’t stress enough that a 409A valuation is vital for your startup, no matter the stage you're in.
Because of this, I’d like to share my insights and knowledge with you on the importance of a 409A valuation, so you can make an informed decision for your startup's future success. Here are just a few reasons why startups need a 409A valuation:
1. Raising capital: Getting a 409A valuation is a must-have for companies looking to raise capital in the future. Investors will check every aspect of your operations for legal compliance and having a 409A in place for issuing stock options shows that you are in compliance with tax law. Failing to comply with legal requirements such as 409A can be a deal breaker for investors. They may walk away from a pending investment if they interpret the non-compliance as a material issue, putting your chances of securing investment at risk.
2. Credibility: By obtaining independent 409A valuations from a credible firm when issuing stock options, a company demonstrates its commitment to legal compliance and financial responsibility. This sends a strong message to investors that the company is operating in an ethical, trustworthy and legally-compliant manner, which leads to increased credibility and trust. Moreover, a 409A valuation ensures that the stock options are priced at fair market value, protecting the interests of both the company and the investors. This level of due diligence and attention to detail can give investors confidence in the company and its future success, making it more attractive to potential investors.
3. Employee equity / retention: A 409A valuation is essential to fair compensation of employees through equity grants. This is particularly crucial in startups where resources are limited, and every employee is critical to the company's success. A fair valuation of equity grants also helps in attracting and retaining top talent, who have many opportunities available to them. A 409A valuation ensures that employees feel valued and motivated to contribute to the company's success. It is a smart investment that helps to build a strong team and secure the future of the company.
4. Tax implications: A 409A valuation is a must-have for startups and their personnel to avoid costly tax penalties related to equity compensation. Without a 409A valuation, the IRS may reject compensation deductions that exceed the fair market value of the stock. The valuation provides proof of the equity's value and protects against potential penalties. A failure to comply with 409A can lead to significant financial consequences for the startup and its personnel, so it is imperative to get a 409A valuation done.
5. Legal compliance: A 409A valuation is crucial for startups looking to comply with securities laws and regulations. By demonstrating that the company is following the rules, a 409A valuation protects the interests of both the employees and investors, avoiding any legal consequences. Complying with securities laws and regulations is a must when granting equity to employees or raising capital, and a 409A valuation is a powerful tool to ensure that the company is on the right side of the law.
Eton's 409A Valuation Services
Eton is uniquely positioned to render 409A fair market value assessments for equity based compensation and financial reporting purposes. Eton was founded by securities lawyers and is staffed with CFAs and other finance professionals trained by the Big Four and other prominent financial services firms. We bring a level of intellectual and quantitative rigor to an engagement that few can match. Eton has been providing valuation services since 2010 and has performed thousands of independent, audit-defensible valuations.
Eton’s people and experience make it one of the “go-to” valuation services firm for 409A regardless of a company's needs.
Eton’s valuation offerings include:
● Equity Securities (ASC718/IRC 409A),
● Fairness Opinions,
● Intangibles Valuation for Purchase Price Allocation,
● Complex Securities Valuation,
● Estate and Gift Tax Valuation,
● Qualified Small Business Stock,
● Mergers & Acquisitions, and
● Crypto Assets.
How can Eton help?
409A compliance is blocking and tackling. Obtaining one is not expensive, but it is a crucial step towards raising capital, building credibility, fair employee compensation, tax compliance, and legal compliance. With Eton's 409A Valuation Services, you can rest assured that you will receive independent, audit-defensible valuations from a team of professionals with a deep understanding of securities laws and regulations. Whether it's equity securities, estate & gift tax, M&A valuation, or crypto assets, Eton has the expertise and experience to help you achieve your goals. Don't risk losing a potential VC investment or facing costly tax penalties.
Contact Eton today and get your 409A valuation done right the first time.